Getting a scholarship in student life is a great achievement and the one offered by a foreign country matters a lot. Scroll through to find the top 10 foreign scholarships offered at universities in UK, USA, Canada, Australia to Indian students.
Getting a scholarship in student-life is a great achievement and that too from a foreign country especially matters. Several countries from across the globe offer scholarships to Indian students on different parameters. In fact, most of the Scholarships are offered for masters and Ph.D. programs, but of late, lots of scholarships are being offered for the undergraduates studies as well.
Types of Foreign Scholarships Available
Foreign scholarships can majorly be categorised into the following:
- Merit-based: Scholarships awarded under this category are based on the academic background or scores obtained in the qualifying exams.
- Need-based: This type of scholarship is primarily awarded to students on the basis of their economic status or family income.
- Subject-specific: Certain universities and institutions award grants to students who plan to pursue a specific field of study.
- Student-specific: Students who can categorize themselves on the basis of various factors such as gender, race, religion, family, and medical history are eligible for student-specific scholarships.
- Destination-specific: It may vary from country to country. Several public authorities, governments, or universities offer funds to students from a particular country.
- Sports-based: These scholarships are offered to the best of the best sportspersons. The same requires applicants to continue with training and representing their university at various sports events.
List of Foreign Scholarships Offered to Indian Students
Given below is the list of scholarships offered to Indian students willing to study in countries such as the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, and so on:
1. Tata Scholarship- Cornell University, USA
Tata Scholarship is offered by Tata Education and Development Trust to support approximately 20 scholars from India in collaboration with Cornell University. The scholarship is awarded annually and recipients will receive the scholarship for the duration of their undergraduate studies at Cornell University. The university has got a $25 million endowment from the Tata Trust. Ratan Tata is a Cornell trustee. Tata Group is one of India’s oldest, largest, and most respected business establishments. The recipient must be a citizen of India who has attended secondary school in India and they are admitted to Cornell as an undergraduate student and be eligible for need-based financial aid.
2. Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship- UK
Offered by the Commonwealth Scholarships Commission, the scholarship is offered to Indian students with English as the medium of education and a minimum of 60% marks in Social Sciences and Humanities or at least 65% marks in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Agriculture. It shall cover a maximum scholarship amount of Rs 31,60,764 which includes tuition fees, economy class return airfare, and living expenses.